Please note that all students are automatically enrolled in the student health insurance plan. You will need to show proof of insurance if/when you seek care. If you don’t find what you are looking for, please call the customer service line with UnitedHealthCare Student Resources at 800-793-0251.
To Obtain Your Insurance Card
- Go to www.uhcsr.com/howard or download the UHCSR app (preferred; available on Google Play or Apple store)
- Go to “create account” and use your student ID, including the @02… and also enter other identifying information
- Create username and password. Note that the password needs to be 8 characters long, have a capital letter and a special character like %, $, @, etc. If you forget your password, click forgot password.
- Log back in with your username and password
- Click “ID card”
- If doing this on the website, you will need to click View/Print on one page, then View/Print on the next webpage.
- You should see your ID card at that time. You can do a screen shot to have it on your phone, or print it out. You may also request a paper card.
Q: Does the health insurance plan cover me for providers other than at the Student Health Center?
Your student health insurance plan (United Healthcare Student Resources) does cover you outside of the Student Health Center or when you are outside of the DC metropolitan area. For full details, please see the plan brochure at www.uhcsr.com/howard. Summary highlights include:
- No referral needed in the following circumstances
- You are more than 35 miles away from campus
- The Student Health Center is closed
- Substance abuse or mental health services
- Obstetric/gynecological services
- Emergency medical care
- Utilizing in-network providers will save money; to determine what providers are in your area, go to www.uhcsr.com/howard and click on “UHC Choice Plus”
- No co-pays to see providers at the Student Health Center
For patient advice, there are toll-free numbers to speak to either a nurse or a physician (“Healthiest You”) that will appear on your insurance card or on the UHCSR website.
For mental health services (including management of depression, anxiety, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and the like), no referral is necessary. Use of the University Counseling services is at no co-pay to the student.
Q: I’m covered under another insurance plan (my parent, spouse, employer, etc.). Can I waive the Howard insurance plan?
The student health insurance plan is mandatory and waivers are not granted. When you present for health care at another facility other than the Student Health Center, present both cards. The United Health Care insurance plan will be the primary insurance for the student, and any other insurance is considered supplemental insurance. Notify both insurance plans that there is other coverage so that a “coordination of benefits” can be done.
Students are responsible for a deductible for services from outside of the Student Health Center, including laboratory, radiology and pathology services. The annual (Aug 1- July 31) amount is $200 for in-network services; and $400 for out-of-network services.
- No co-pay for visits to the Student Health Center
- $25 per doctor visit including urgent care centers
- $100 for illness-related Emergency Room visits
- $250 for injury-related Emergency Room visits
- $15 Generic Prescriptions (most birth control will be at no co-pay)
- $30 Formulary Brand Prescriptions
- $55 Non-Formulary Brand Prescriptions
Co-insurance is the amount that is paid by both the student and the insurance plan. For most in-network medical visits, hospitalizations and procedures, there is a 100% co-insurance benefit! This means that, outside of the co-pays and after paying the deductible, there is no other cost to the student.
Dental and vision
Students can access the College of Dentistry for a range of covered services. No referral for the College of Dentistry. There are other limited benefits at the Howard University Hospital for dental services. Routine eye exams are covered at 60% if done in-network. See Allies program below for other discounts.
Insurance coverage for medical students and athletes will begin in July upon arrival to campus. For all other students, coverage begins August 1. The coverage period is from Aug 1-July 31.