Steering Committee (SC)
The SC meets every other week to oversee the progress of the program. Activities include making decisions on recruiting, budgeting, reporting, project supervision, ensure compliance and follow up on the recruitment of the Program Director. Dr. Taylor is the chair of the SC and will continue on the Steering Committee with Dr. Perrine and provide his long-standing knowledge of the strengths and breadth of the Howard medical research community.
The other members of the committee are co-investigators of the CHaRM, and in addition, Denise Scott PhD, Assistant Professor, Departments of Pediatrics and Human Genetics, and Associate Director, Screening Brief Intervention Referral to Treatment Medical Residency Program; Barbara Harrison is a Genetic Counselor, and Director of the Outreach Program at the Center for Sickle Cell Disease. Juan Salomon-Andonie provides critical coordination of all activities and ensures the timeliness of the activities of the SC.
- Robert E. Taylor, MD, PhD, Chair
- Sergei Nekhai, PhD
- Seyed M. Nouraie, MD, PhD
- Patricia Oneal, MD
- Kareem Washington, PhD
- Denise M. Scott, PhD
- Barbara Harrison, CGC
- Juan Salomon-Andonie, MS, Secretary
External Advisory Board (EAB)
The EAB consists of members who served on the EAB of the Phase I, P30 program. Members were directly recruited and invited to continue participating in Phase II.
Meetings and Communication
A conference call with the members of the EAB was scheduled on October 15, 2013, and an in-person meeting occurred at the American Society of Hematology (ASH) meeting on December 8, 2013. Dr. Susan Perrine also attended that meeting and was interviewed by the EAB members. A number of recommendations were proposed by the EAB based on the report provided at the ASH meeting by Drs. Sergei Nekhai and Seyed Nouraie. Depending on the progress of the hiring of Dr. Perrine, a second in-person meeting or a conference call will be scheduled, prior to the end of the first year of the award period.
- Christine McLaren, PhD, Professor of Epidemiology (expert in mathematical statistics),
University of California Irvine, Chair
- Victor Gordeuk, MD, Professor of Medicine (expert in iron metabolism and sickle cell disease), Director of Center for Sickle Cell Disease, University of Illinois, Chicago;
- Fatah Kashanchi, Ph.D., Director of Research and Professor of Microbiology (expert in HIV-1 transcription and small molecule antivirals), George Mason University School of Systems Biology;
- James Casella, MD, Professor of Pediatrics and Oncology, Chief of Pediatric Hematology (expert in hematology of sickle cell disease), Johns Hopkins University;
- Jill Joseph, MD, PhD, MPH, Associate Dean for Research and Professor of Pediatrics (expert in translational pediatrics research), University of California, Davis;
- Gregory Kato, MD, Visiting Professor of Medicine and Director of Adult Sickle Cell Center of Excellence (expert in basic and translational sickle cell disease research), University of Pittsburgh.