Division of General Internal Medicine at Howard University Hospital
The Division of General Internal Medicine at Howard University Hospital specializes in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of diseases and conditions that affect adults ages 18 and older. Our general internists are experts in their field, with emphasis on health promotion and disease prevention.
General internists are doctors equipped to deal with any medical issue or problem – no matter how common, rare or complex. Our general internists take pride in caring for adult patients throughout the many stages of life. When other specialists, such as surgeons or neurologists are involved, we coordinate and manage our patients' care every step of the way.
Conditions We Treat
Board-certified general internists manage and treat a wide range of conditions that affect adults. Common conditions we treat include:
- High cholesterol
- Lower back pain
Treatment & Procedures
We treat routine problems and chronic illnesses and conditions. Depending on your needs, a general internist, nurse practitioner, nurse or dietitian in our division may diagnose or treat your condition. Treatments and services include:
- Physical examinations – annual exams, work-required exams, school- and sports-required exams and Department of Transportation exams
- Preventive medicine – sick and well-care visits, checkups, screenings, vaccinations and other services to promote wellness and disease prevention
- Preoperative evaluations – exams to clear patients for surgery
- Chronic disease management – oversight of ongoing conditions to help patients remain healthy and out of the hospital
- Inpatient care management – managing patients' care while hospitalized
- Bariatric medicine – specialized care for patients who are obese
Our experienced general internists work closely with and refer patients to specialists in other disciplines, including surgery, obstetrics-gynecology and neurology, to ensure we meet patients' needs.
For your visit
- Please arrive 30 minutes early for your first appointment with us to complete paperwork.
- ¿Hablas español? Our health care professionals and front-desk staff members who speak Spanish are happy to assist.
- አማርኛ ትችላለህ? (amarenya techelalleh?) One of our doctors speaks Amharic and is happy to assist you.