The Center of Excellence (COE) program, funded through the Department of Health and Human Services, was established to assist designated health profession schools and other public and non-profit, or educational institutions strengthen the national capacity to produce a culturally competent healthcare workforce, whose diversity is representative of the U.S. population.
The Center of Excellence SAT Preparatory Program is one of the many programs that are geared towards increasing the number of competitive applicants applying to Howard University through the COE’s local area and partnership high school programs. The SAT Preparatory Programs are 3-week sessions for juniors and seniors in high school. There are 20 seats available in each session. Applications are open to all, however priority will be extended to the 6 high school partnerships with the COE;
- Bell Multicultural Senior High School/Columbia Heights Educational Campus
- Benjamin Banneker Senior High School
- Cardoza Senior High School
- Charles Herbert Flowers High School
- Eastern Senior High School
- Eleanor Roosevelt Senior High School
The SAT® is a globally recognized college/university admission test. The SAT® assess a student’s academic readiness for college/university.
The SAT consists of 3 sections:
- Critical Reading—consists of reading passages and sentence completions;
- Writing—includes a short essay and multiple-choice questions on identifying errors and improving grammar and usage; and,
- Mathematics—includes questions on arithmetic operations, algebra geometry, statistics and probability.
The Center of Excellence is pleased to announce that we have partnered with Mr. James Miller—an English and Language Arts teacher at Eleanor Roosevelt Senior High School who has proven success in offering SAT/ACT Preparatory Program to students for 12 plus years.
The SAT Preparatory will be offered in Washington, DC at the College of Pharmacy. SAT® Session I will be held: September 19, 22, 27, 29, 2016 at 5:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. Session II -November 8, 9, 15, 17, 29, Dec. 1, 2016 at 5:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. Session III – January 24, 26, 31, Feb. 2, 7, 9, 2017 at 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. The SAT Preparatory is designed to enhance students’ performance in Writing/English, Reading, Mathematics and Science. If you are planning to take the SAT for the first time or to improve your existing scores, this program will assist you in achieving your goal.
- To encourage young under-represented minority students to pursue careers in Pharmacy or other health professions.
- To provide an opportunity for young under-represented minority students to develop mentoring relationships with current minority health professionals and graduate health professional students.
- To facilitate entry to Howard University’s Pre-Health Programs.
The SAT Preparatory Program registration deadlines: Session I - Friday, September 16th, 2016, Session II - Friday, November 4, 2016 and Session III - Friday, January 20th, 2017.
- There is no cost associated with the course.
- Course materials and study guides will be supplied.
PROGRAM CLASS SCHEDULE
- Classes will meet in the College of Pharmacy;
[Annex III-Graduate School Building], Room 117.
400 College Street NW, Washington DC 20059
Any questions please contact:
Howard University, College of Pharmacy
Attention: Ms. Veronica Bruce
Center of Excellence, Faculty Annex III, Room 114
2300 4th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20059
(202) 806-4213 Main
(202) 238-8538 Fax