Lower Division - Liberal Arts and Science Foundation Requirements for Freshman and Sophomore Years
(See Health Management Sciences Posted Curriculum for Course Sequences)
First Time in College (FTIC) and (2) Former Students Returning (FSR)
Complete a minimum of 16 college preparatory units. The specific courses and unit requirements include:
- English (4 courses);
- Mathematics (3 courses) including Algebra I and II and either Trigonometry, Geometry or Calculus;
- Biology (1 course);
- Chemistry (1 course) and
- Other physical education, orientation, social sciences, humanities, philosophy and technical and critical writing (7courses).
- Obtain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.50 and C or above grade in required prerequisite courses before transfer to upper division.
Advanced Credits: Students Transferring From Accredited Colleges and Universities
Applicants who transfer or have taken pre-requisite or required courses from accredited institutions acceptable by Howard University may receive advanced standing for only those courses applicable to the degree in Health Management Sciences. Subject to the established policies of the College of Arts and Science, College of Nursing and Allied Health Sciences and the Department of Health Sciences and Management, applicants will be required to take additional courses. as well as required challenge examinations in individual courses such as Mathematics, English to receive additional advance standing, on case by case basis.
Minimum Graduation Requirements, Bachelor of Sciences in Health Sciences
A candidate for the Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences in Health Sciences with concentration in Health Management Sciences Program must complete a minimum of 120 semester hours which include all prerequisites, elective and required courses in liberal arts, allied health sciences, business administration, health management core courses and other requirements stated in the curriculum effective Fall 2012 and must satisfy the following criteria:
- Completed all required and elective coursework in allied health sciences, liberal arts, and business and health management sciences.
- Obtained a minimum of cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 on a scale of 4.0.
- Meet all academic, financial and university and college required exist interviews and graduation clearances.
Updated prerequisite arts and science, as well as health management and business administration courses taken more than 5 years prior to entry to the program must be updated as prescribed by the curriculum of study, admissions policies and chair of the Department of Health Sciences and Management/Health Management Sciences Program.