Mission & Goals
The Department of Clinical Laboratory Sciences believes that quality healthcare is an individual right. We seek to produce compassionate healthcare professionals who will maintain professional competence, excel as leaders, and promote health education for America and the global community. Therefore, the mission of the Department of Clinical Laboratory Science at Howard University is to educate highly skilled and proficient laboratory scientist committed to providing quality health care. Special emphasis is placed on developing and empowering promising African-American students.
The goals of the Department of Clinical Laboratory Sciences at Howard University are to:
- Provide an educational experience of the highest standard in clinical laboratory science.
- Prepare skilled laboratory scientists capable of contributing to the delivery of quality healthcare.
- Instill in our students a sense of responsibility, professionalism, and compassion for those we serve
A graduate of the Department of Clinical Laboratory Science should be proficient in the following entry level competencies:
- Effective communication with peers, supervisors, other health professionals and consumers;
- Professional consultation with other laboratory and technical support personnel;
- Mastery of appropriate procedures for collecting, processing and analyzing biological specimens for analysis;
- Accurate performance of standard, complex, and specialized analytical tests on biological specimens;
- Recognition, interpretation and correlation of abnormal laboratory data with disease states;
- Evaluation, validation and implementation of new laboratory procedures and instrumentation in compliance with regulatory agencies;
- Investigation and verification of quality control and quality assurance measures, and the introduction of appropriate corrective procedures to achieve accuracy and precision;
- Management and application of the principles of laboratory information systems;
- Establishment and maintenance of effective laboratory safety protocols in accordance with regulatory standards;
- Pursuit of continuing education activities that enhance professional growth and competence;
- Evaluation and provision of effective educational and technical instruction in laboratory practice to students, laboratory personnel, other health professionals and consumers;
- Comprehension and application of the principles of personnel, fiscal, and administrative management;
- Critical evaluation and analysis of information, and the application of problem solving skills to real world challenges;
- Modeling and reinforcing the ethical standards of professional conduct.