Dexter Lee, Ph.D.
Office: Numa P. G. Adams Bldg, Suite: 2420, Room 2418-A
Office Telephone: 202-806-6339
Laboratory: Numa P. G. Adams Bldg, Suite: 4101
B.S., Jackson State University (1992)
M.S., University of Akron (1994)
Ph.D., University of Missouri-Columbia (2000)
Postdoctoral Fellow, Medical College of Georgia (2000-06)
Lecture about Renal Physiology in the allied health, dental, graduate, medical and pharmacy student physiology courses.
Current emphases are on the renal mechanisms for chronic blood pressure control during hypertension. Specific interests are to investigate the role of inflammatory cytokines on renal function and their contribution to blood pressure regulation.
Grants and Funding Awards:
National Institutes of Health Mentored Career Award (K01) (2008 – 2013)
- Aryana S. Jacobs, Hakeem O. Ayinde and Dexter L. Lee. Inflammatory Biomarkersand Cardiovascular Complications in Sickle Cell Disease: A Review. Current Cardiovascular Risk Reports. DOI 10.1007/s12170-013-0325x
- Katherine D LaClair, Kebreten F Manaye, Dexter L Lee, Joanne S Allard, Alena V Savonenko, Juan C Troncoso and Philip C Wong Treatment with bexarotene, a compound that increases apolipoprotein-E, provides no cognitive benefit in mutant APP/PS1 mice. Molecular Neurodegeneration June 2013, 8:18
- Dexter L. Lee, Tracy Bell, Jenny Bhupatkar, Glenn Solis and William J. Welch,
Adenosine A1-Receptor Knockout Mice have a Decreased Blood Pressure Response to a low dose of Angiotensin II infusion. American Journal of Physiology - Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology 2012 Sep 15;303(6):R683-8. doi: 10.1152/ajpregu.00116.2012. Epub 2012 Aug 8., PMID: 22874421
- Justin L. Wilson, Rong Duan, Ahmed El-Marakby, Abdulmohsin Alhashim and Dexter L. Lee. Peroxisome Proliferator Activated Receptor-α agonist slows the progression of hypertension, attenuates plasma interleukin-6 levels and renal inflammatory markers in Angiotensin II infused mice. PPAR Research vol. 2012; 2012 Manuscript: 645969, PMC3405818, PMID: 22848208
- Dexter L. Lee and Justin L. Wilson. Urine from Sexually Mature Intact Male Mice Contributes to Increased Cardiovascular Responses during Free-Roaming and Restrained Conditions. ISRN Veterinary Science, vol. 2012, Article ID 185461, 7 pages, 2012. doi:10.5402/2012/185461, PMC3400049, PMID:22822459
- Dexter L. Lee, Justin L. Wilson, Rong Duan, Tamaro Hudson, and Ahmed El-Marakby.Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptor-𝛼 Activation Decreases Mean Arterial Pressure, Plasma Interleukin-6, and COX-2 While Increasing Renal CYP4A Expression in an Acute Model of DOCA-Salt Hypertension. PPAR Research, vol. 2011, Article ID 502631, 7 pages, 2011.doi:10.1155/2011/502631, PMID:22190908